Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Recipe Review: Chicken Lettuce Wraps

So last night I made the Chicken Lettuce Wraps from Taste of Home. Of course I always have a few adjustments to the recipe so the flavors suit our taste. The list of ingredients looks a bit long, but other than having to buy the specific lettuce for the wraps these are items I usually have on-hand for Asian-type cooking.

I couldn't think of what to serve with them, so we had some mashed sweet potato and a quick 5-cup salad.

The wraps turned out really tasty and I will definitely be making them again. Sorry for the poor photo - I was so starving and ready to eat that I just snapped a quick cell phone photo.





Chicken Lettuce Wraps
adapted from Taste of Home

Ingredients:
1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
3/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and diced (yep, they would have been better if I had read "diced")
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce ( I used Yoshida's)
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (omitted)
1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
1/2 cup julienned green onions
12 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted

In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken
in 1 tablespoon oil for 3 minutes; drain. Add the mushrooms, water
chestnuts and ginger; cook 4-6 minutes longer or until chicken is no
longer pink. Drain and set aside.
 
In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, garlic
powder, red pepper flakes and remaining oil. Stir in the carrots,
onions and chicken mixture. (I actually heated this in the pan I had cooked the chicken in and then stirred it all together - including the slivered almonds)

Spoon onto lettuce leaves; sprinkle with almonds. If desired, fold sides of lettuce over filling and roll up.

Yield: 6 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 2 wraps equals 230 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 278 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 very lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! You sound so much like me. I always say "Of course I always have a few adjustments to the recipe so the flavors suit our taste" too. Also have issues of not getting enough photos because of hunger, timing(too dark out) or anything else that might come up. These sound really good. I think the list of ingredients are very do-able, they all seem to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like lettuce wraps -- THANKS! for reminding me about them, plus this filling sounds tasty. I'd probably tweak it too, maybe add some fresh basil leaves and use fresh garlic instead of garlic powder ...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...