Monday, December 6, 2010

Recipe Review: Cinnamon Walnut Brittle

A few days ago I was putting together some cookie boxes for a couple of girlfriends. With not a lot of time to spare I decided to make brittle for the first time ever and used this recipe for Cinnamon Walnut Brittle. It was a fun adventure, and a simple recipe that turned out pretty tasty.

Cinnamon Walnut Brittle
Taste of Home

Ingredients
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon butter
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon **needs more cinnamon
 1 teaspoon baking soda
 1 teaspoon Spice Island® Pure Vanilla Extract

Directions

Butter a baking sheet; set aside. In a 2-qt. microwave-safe bowl, combine sugar and corn syrup. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 3 minutes; stir. Cook, uncovered, on high 2-1/2 minutes longer. Stir in the walnuts, butter and cinnamon. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 minutes longer or until mixture turns a light amber color (mixture will be very hot). Quickly stir in baking soda and vanilla until light and foamy. Immediately pour onto prepared pan; spread with a metal spatula. Cool; break into pieces. Yield: 3/4 pound.


**When I make this again I will definitely use more cinnamon. It was so subtle I could barely tell it was there. More next time for sure.

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 57 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 42 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.

This is the brittle cooling. My dad made the tenderizer / mallet for me several years back.
 This is a photo of me and my dad on the Homer Spit, and the finished brittle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...