Did you see the adorable commercial this year for the Rice Krispie treats shaped as eggs with M&M's inside? It seemed like a fantastic idea and how hard could it be really?! Hard? No. A test in patience? Yes. Very much so.
As you can see, I made a total of 6 of the eggs and then to save my sanity spread the rest of the Rice Krispie mixture in a rectangular pan. The recipe said it would make 12 of the eggs. I must have had small plastic eggs because I could have easily (no, not really easily) made a total of at least 20 eggs with the amount of sweet marshmallowy goodness I had left over. Getting the krispie mixture into the plastic eggs was kind of like when you open something that is wrapped in shrink-wrapped plastic and it gets all staticy and won't come off your fingers. Making the little cavity inside the eggs was even harder - even using cooking spray on my fingers.
They tasted delicious, like fresh Rice Krispie treats do. A couple of them even rattled when you shook them. They were really cute, but...
Hidden Surprise Easter Egg Treats
original recipe RiceKrispies.com
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows
- OR -
4 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal
1/2 cup M&M's® Easter colored chocolate candies
Canned frosting or decorating gel (optional)
12 plastic snap-apart 3 x 2-in Easter eggs
1. Clean, then coat inside of plastic eggs with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
3. Add Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal. Stir until well coated.
4. Using greased hands, firmly press 1/4 cup of Rice Krispies® mixture into both halves of each plastic egg. Use fingers to make hollow center in each half. Remove from molds. Place on wax paper. Cool slightly.
5. Place about 6 M&M'S® Brand Chocolate Candies in one half of each egg. Gently press two halves of each egg together until they stick. Cool completely.
6. Decorate with frosting and additional M&M'S® Brand Chocolate Candies (if desired). Best if served the same day. Serving size is 1 egg.
MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS: Follow step 1 above. In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 3 through 6 above. Microwave cooking times may vary.
For best results, use fresh marshmallows.
1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow crème can be substituted for marshmallows.
Earth Day Activities
19 hours ago