Sunday, September 11, 2011

Garden Fresh Salsa


What do you do with all the tomatoes that come ripe at the same time? Get creative - use them in this beautiful summer vegetable tian recipe, like i did last night. Put them in your salad of course. Make a caprese salad. Put them on a BLT! Stuff them like I did in this recipe for Ricotta-Basil Stuffed Tomatoes. You still have some left? Make this great salsa! I followed a basic salsa recipe and changed it up a little. I didn't have jalapeno at the house, so I used a can of diced green chilis and went from there. I didn't know how many small to medium tomatoes it would take to get 8 cups of chopped tomatoes, so I used every last one I had picked a few days ago in my mom's greenhouse. She's out of town, so someone needed to tend to the tomatoes, right? And besides there are still a ton over there that will be ripe in a day or so for her. You can even use the little mutant-looking tomatoes that I think are super cute!



Home Canned Salsa
adapted from SalsaGarden.com

8 cups chopped fresh Tomatoes
1 small can diced green chilis (this is where you can adjust your heat level)
1 large White Onion, diced
6 cloves Garlic, minced
1 cup chopped fresh Cilantro, divided
1/2 - 1 tsp. cumin
1 TBS Salt
¾ cup Cider Vinegar
¼ cup fresh Lime Juice

Combine all ingredients, except 1/2 cup cilantro in a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes. Just after you pull it off the heat add your additional cilantro. Pour hot salsa into hot, sterilized canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Seal jars with two piece caps. Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. 

The Review: With my changes I thought this turned out great. I was able to can 7 half pints and have another 2 1/2 cups of salsa in the fridge that we are working on. I did use mild chilis because we are really wimps with heat, but probably could have used medium and been okay too. You could definitely up the chilis to a larger can or 2 cans. The chilis and cumin were my changes to the recipe and added a nice smokiness in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...