Thursday, April 19, 2012

Basic Biscotti


I love biscotti. It travels well and makes a great snack or light sweet anytime. I like to make mine smaller and a little softer, not as crunchy. This last batch I based on a recipe I found on Allrecipes.com. I love that they have reviews of all their recipes and you can pretty much tell which ones will turn out good and which ones won't.

I do apologize for the not so great photo. I was going to line them up and take a nicer picture, but then I ended up sending several of them with my hubby on his business trip and by the time I realized I hadn't gotten a picture of the batch this was the last one!

Basic Biscotti
adapted from Biscotti Tosconi at Allrecipes.com

Servings: about 30
WW PointsPlus: 2

1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 tsp Fiori di Sicilia
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, KAF white wheat flour is great in this recipe!
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Directions: Preheat the oven to 325°. Grease and flour a large baking sheet, or use a seasoned stone.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, vanilla, and fiori di sicilia extract. Combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt. Stir into the creamed mixture until just blended. Stir in mini chocolate chips. Divide dough into two pieces. Form into long flat loaves about 1/2 inch tall and 12 inches long. Place the loaves 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.

Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until a light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.   

With a serrated knife, cut diagonally into slices about 1/2 inch thick. Separate slices on stone and bake for another 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

These are tasty plain, or you can melt some chocolate or white chocolate coating and drizzle over the top. Store biscotti at room temperature in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...