Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Autumn Risotto with Cranberries



So...here's a recipe from a menu plan way back in September. I did make this that very week. I even remembered to take a picture of the finished dish and note the changes I made to the original recipe. Then I completely forgot about it. 100% forgot about it until just moments ago. Then after a pretty quick search I found the picture and the recipe! Yay for hubby insisting we label and date the photo folders when the pics get downloaded!

This is/was originally a Pampered Chef recipe. We all know that PC has amazing tasting recipes that go together fairly quickly, but they also have a good bit of fat and calories. When I came across this recipe I was looking for a way to try TVP (which I hadn't previously tried) and I thought I'd give it a go as a sub for the chicken. It turned out great! I love risotto. Who knew you could make it in the microwave?! It's not quite as creamy as I like my risotto but I didn't have to stand there stirring it and it was tasty and I will make it again. (especially now that I've re-found the recipe and posted it in a place I can't lose it!)

And for those that may have an interest in Weight Watchers PointsPlus - the original recipe was 11 ppv per serving. My alterations have it down to 8 ppv per serving - verified through Recipe Builder.


Autumn Risotto with Cranberries & TVP
adapted from Pampered Chef
Serves: 6
WW PPV: 8

1 cup(s) Ocean Spray Craisins Craisins® original flavor  
1 cup(s) uncooked arborio rice, uncooked  
3/4 cup(s) white wine  
1/2 cup(s) slivered almonds  
2 cup(s) hot water  
2 1/2 cup(s) fat-free chicken broth  
2 rib(s) (large) uncooked celery  
4 wedge(s) The Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss Original Flavor, room temperature 
1 medium uncooked vidalia onion(s)  
1 Tbsp olive oil  
2/3 cup(s) dry textured vegetable protein  

Combine cranberries, TVP and hot water in Small Batter Bowl; set aside.

Coarsely chop onion. Combine onion, rice and oil in Deep Covered Baker; stir. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH 2-4 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add stock, wine, salt and black pepper; microwave, covered, on HIGH 13 minutes or until rice is still slightly firm, stirring once halfway through.

Meanwhile, toast almonds over medium heat 5-7 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Slice celery. Drain cranberries; set aside.

Carefully remove baker from microwave using Oven Mitts. Add celery to baker; stir. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 3-5 minutes or until rice is tender and risotto appears creamy. Carefully remove baker from microwave. Add Laughing Cow cheese and almonds; stir until cheese is fully incorporated. Fold in cranberries and TVP. Garnish with parsley, if desired. Yield: 6 servings (about 6 cups/1.5 L)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...